
Those of us living in Cleveland forget how lucky we are to have the medical resources of the Cleveland Clinic in our own backyard. Its the resource that you're so thankful for having, but never really want to need to use. But, when you do need critical medical attention, its so comforting to know that we have such an institution right here.
This is what I keep thinking about as I watch Jack get better in this room. Do I like hospitals? No way...just like everyone else, I'd much rather be somewhere else. But, if you have to be in a hospital, I'm glad we're at this one. The CC Children's Hospital is a wonderful place, with an excellent and attentive staff. This whole week has been scary-- there's no sugar coating that. I will say, though, that the sensation of comfort and confidence was felt immediately when we arrived here by ambulance from the "other" hospital (the one we'll never go back to b/c they are completely incapable of treating an infant). In fact, the minute the CC's PICU transport vehicle arrived at the ER where Jack was being treated, I was very impressed with how much better care he instantly received.
So, sitting here with the little guy as he recovers, there's a sense of peaceful calm now. We now know what he has. We are 100% satisfied that he's getting the best treatment and is on the road to recovery. So, finally, Mike and I can breathe a little sigh of relief. Even though we're still at Childrens, we know what we're dealing with and know that Little Guys gonna be just fine. There's a chance that getting RSV could mean that Jack will have asthma, but we'll cross that bridge. Sometimes that isn't the case...so lets root for that. I'm just glad that he looks a little better today than he did yesterday and that his breating isn't so so bad like it was when this all began. Its by no means back to normal-- its still very labored with wheezing, but its a little be better.
They said that in many cases, when a baby this young gets RSV, it usually means a 5 day hospital stay. However, they also are really impressed at how quickly we caught everything...which allowed them to aggressively treat Jack so that perhaps he won't be sick as long as other babies who get RSV. The pulmonary specialists check on him every 2 hours and do various breathing treatments almost each time based upon his needs. Fingers crossed. I'm just so thankful for the CC and that Jack's illness is under control.
Time for me to try to catch an hour or two of sleep (I think I slept maybe 3 hours total last night with all that was going on :).
No comments:
Post a Comment