Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, June 19, 2009

Our Special Time

Every night, Jack and I have this little ritual. We go upstairs with "Jingle Jingle," which is the noise that Boomer's collar makes as he goes up the steps. We put Jack's safari music player on and turn on the night light. Then, the three of us huddle on the bed in Jack's room as Little Guy drinks his bottle.

Its this really sweet time. No matter where Boomer is in the house or what he's up to, he always makes it a point to be a part of this time with Jack. Its almost as if he wants to look out for Jack as he goes to bed. There's no other motivation for him to do this (we're not passing out treats as we head upstairs or raiding a secret stash of bones in Jack's room). Its just pretty cool....but we'll talk more about the bond between boy and pup at a later time.

This time at night is just plain special. Its one of my most favorite things I get to do with Jack. He drinks his bottle in his darkened room. He gazes at me and I gaze back at him. Occasionally, he'll make a cooing noise as he drinks, which I love. We just communicate by looking into eachother's eyes...and I feel so connected to him and loved by him. Then his eyes begin to get heavy and he relaxes. After he finishes his bottle, I give him his binky and hug him close....real close. And I rock him a little bit while snuggling my nose to his forehead. And I think to myself how lucky we are to have Jack in our world.

For the most part, there are no words exchanged until just before I put him in his crib. I do say a couple words from a book that a friend gave me when Jack was born. As I nuzzle up to his forehead and kiss him goodnight, I say "I'll love you forever. I'll like you for always. My Baby you'll always be. Sleep tight sweetheart. I love you Jack." I don't know who this comforts more...me or him...or maybe its equal for us both. Its our special time that we get to share.

The best part about all of this is that I get to do this every single night. And every night, I feel like this time is a little more precious.

1 comment:

alkelley said...

Love that book. It makes me cry everytime I read it.