Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 8, 2010

All Aboard

Some of my earliest memories as a little kid involved playing with trains in Pop Al's basement. The layout he created over the years was unreal. It took up half the basement and he constantly worked on it! In fact, the train layout was one of the coolest things ever--- and made my grandparents house quite an attraction for me (and my brother and cousins). It wasn't just my grandpa who loved trains-- it was a passion he shared with the rest of our family: My dad, uncles, brother, cousins....

Jack got his first "real" trainset experience this past Christmas. Kevin set up a train around one of their Christmas trees. It was an electric train and he loved it. Seeing Jack sit on the floor looking at it with my dad and brother (and Calvin and Cameron), was such a cool sight. I knew we were on to something.

Then, one of my work friends, Rachel, mentioned to me that she wanted to pass down her son's Thomas Train Table. What a kind gesture from a very sweet person. She told me all about how much he son, Liam, loved playing with wooden trains. Very appreciative of her offer to give this table to Jack, I drove over to pick it up. We put away some toys that Jack had outgrown to make some room in our basement. The table is so nice== and the Thomas and Friends Wooden Railway trains are quite neat. They're wooden and connect with magnets, so they're very easy to connet together.

I have to admit, I was pretty excited when I set up the Thomas train table. And Jack, well, at first he was just curious. Then, he got his hands on a couple of the wooden trains. He smiled as he figured out how they connect. Each time he plays with them, he seems to enjoy them more. Its been about a week now--- and although we only have a couple trains so far, he is growing quite fond of them. I did get him the Musical Caboose over the weekend....it ended up in the car with us going to and from school and went to bed with him tonight.

Its so cool. I can't wait for my dad and brother, since they have always been especially fond of trains, to come up to visit and play with the trains. I think we're going to have fun building Jack's Wooden Railway train by train over the years.




2 comments:

JoAnne said...

Jack just looks so darn cute and excited about his trains. And they are so good for the imagination. Can't wait to see Jack and his trains in person.

Kris said...

Yes...it is really fun to see. Everytime he plays with them, he gets a little more confident and excited about them. He truly is trying to figure them out. Right now, we don't have any wooden tracks on the table. He's just getting used to playing with them on the table along the layout of the base, which has layout photos on it.

I think I know what I'll be getting him for birthday and Christmas. This could make Santa's job really easy :)

Can't wait for you and Dad to play trains with him too!!!