Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas 2010


I've believed for a long time that the best gifts can't be wrapped. Instead, they're experienced. Specifically, I mean that the best gifts you can have are family and close friends....people who help you create the best memories and experiences. This is what our Christmas was all about.

Nothing beats seeing Jack and his two cousins, Calvin & Cameron, spend time together. Cam & Cal went out of their way to help Jack learn how to 'experience' Christmas. They showed him how to open gifts, play with the train that travels around one of their Christmas trees, and take in all the wonder of the day. They tried to explain how Santa brings stockings when he visits a home (and that these stockings are different than the special ones that Grandma gives on Christmas Eve). They made Christmas morning so special when they waited until Jack woke up to go downstairs to see what arrived on the 'sleigh' overnight. We all went down the steps together, with Cal & Cam holding Jack's hands. The looks on their faces when they saw everything under (and around, and next to, and along the wall leading up to the tree....somebody(s) went overboard this year) the Christmas tree was unreal. It was absolutely priceless. I think Jack might be beginning to understand, if only a little bit, what Christmas means.

As we opened presents-- I was so proud as Jack opened a gift slowly, and thanked the giver of the gift with only a little instruction from us. It wasn't a 'free for all' like I've heard some Christmas mornings can be. I like that we take our time to enjoy the experience.

It was all that we could ask a Christmas to be. The dinner was great-- the company was even better-- and the best part-- was the togetherness felt by all of us. Ah, the wonder of Christmas!






1 comment:

JoAnne said...

What a great Christmas this was!! It was so much fun watching Jack learn and experience the day from Calvin and Cameron.