Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Mangia!

Tonight, we went out to dinner at our local favorite, family Italian restautant, Santos. Its close to our house and they are really good with Jack. They were especially crowded...thank goodness we called ahead and had great company (especially Hannah!).

We've said from very early on, that we wanted to take Jack out to eat at restaurants often so that he understands how to act while sitting down for dinner. It isn't always easy, but every meal out is a learning experience (for him and for us :). These "nights out" are especially interesting when the meal takes a long time, like it did tonight. We had to go deep in to the "Mary Poppins Bag" to grab out as many toys as we could to occupy Jack: 2 books, his roller dino, 3 spoons, his super binky, 2 cereal bars, toy phone, blackberry....you can see where we're going. Although he did get a little ansy, I was impressed at his overall demeanor. Afterall, we were there for about 2 hours from start to finish (which may be a record for us)

Sometimes Jack doesn't have much of an appetite. Other times, he eats like a nose tackle (that reference was for Pop :). Tonight, he ate for the whole team. I kid you not. Here's just a sample of Jack's dinner:

- 2 cereal bars & a packet of oyster crackers (while waiting for dinner)
- Calamari (for real-- he LOVED it)
- A peice of bread
- A Bowl of shredded mozarella cheese (it was supposed to go on our salads, but instead went in his belly. Ut-oh)
- A side of pasta with white sauce
- Half a cheeseburger

Oh, and this is on top of a lunch where he ate every vegetable and fruit I put on his high chair. I eventually had to stop giving them to him because I was afraid he was going to get a belly ache. Boy did he give me an earful for that. He must be going through a growth spurt, becuase today was unreal. Last weekend, he didn't want to eat much of anything-- he more than made up for it today! Its feast or famine with this little kid.

2 comments:

JoAnne said...

So...I should stock up on fresh fruits and veggies, cereal bars, calamari, bread, pasta, and grated motz for his visit to Grandma's. They say that, if you make the food available to the child, they will eat what their body's need automatically. It's when we insert the junk that we erode their eating instincts.

Kris said...

True mom. What I didn't add is that this morning, Jack had his first donut. It was a special gift from Grandpa. And to say that he loved it was quite an understatement. I will say that I do feel better about lunch today: Lettuce, grilled chicken, corn and blud berries. It all balances out, right? :)